Tuesday 6 September 2011

Reading Reading Reading

 I am on such a reading bender recently and I've got to say it feels good. I always have been quite a big fan of books but something in the past few years has been stopping me. Can't be anything to do with time because unfortunately I have all the time in the world! being gainfully unemployed means that I have to fill my days with whatever I can get basically and now... its books. Love reading. And looking over this post, it seems I love a trilogy or saga too!

I read somewhere recently that "reading is dreaming with your eyes open" (or some similar guff) and I have always been a day dreamer, so without further ado:

A few of my recent faves I thought I would share:

1) The CJ Sansom Shardlake novels... Where can I begin? probably favesies or very nearly favesies. This is escapism at its very best, though you might want to give these a miss if you aren't a history boff as they are quite involved with the nitty gritty of life under Henry VIII -not literally! unlike the Other Boleyn Girl, they are much less about the rumpy pumpy Tudors and much more about intrigue and grimy slimy murders.
(picture credit)


2) The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins... Teenage dross or insanely addictive? you decide. I loved these and read them after hearing about next year's release of the movie on the VMAs. I literally devoured these books without coming up for air. They are a little bit young for me probably but I live Harry Potter and Twilight with pride so this is my newest fantasy saga and I am loving it. Family and friends are getting bored with how much I've been going on about these books. 
(picture credit)


3) Following on from last week and the dystopia presented in the hunger games world I was really feeling a re-read of one of my faves that I haven't read since its 2003 release. So I am now engrossed in Margaret Atwood's incredible 'Oryx and Crake'. It is every bit as good as I remember; scandalous, dark, engrossing... I am thrilled to be cuddled up with this one again in this rainy weather. I am also looking forward to starting the new one set in the same time with some of the same characters 'Year of the Flood'. I haven't started this yet... anyone had a go?


(picture via)

Still on my reading list is 'Anno Dracula' by Kim Newman... anyone read it? I have had a little flick through but I am going to finish my Margaret Atwood groove first. I am definitely excited though, It has Victorian London, Jack the Ripper and Count Dracula et al. What more could a girl ask for?

Any recommendations? opinions? favesies? worsties? anyone out there?

xxH

No comments:

Post a Comment